The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has called for calm and an immediate end to violence targeting illegal foreigners following growing incidents of attacks and intimidation in parts of South Africa, particularly in KwaZulu-Natal.
In a media statement issued on Wednesday, the Commission said it was “deeply alarmed” by reports and circulating videos showing violent attacks against foreign nationals, warning that the incidents threatened South Africa’s constitutional values of ubuntu, dignity, equality and the rule of law.
The statement comes amid mounting tensions linked to anti-migrant protests and vigilante actions that have spread across parts of KwaZulu-Natal in recent weeks. Reports indicate that some foreign nationals have fled their homes and businesses fearing attacks, while others sought refuge at police stations in Durban.
According to broadcaster eNCA, several migrants gathered at a Durban police station seeking protection after alleged attacks and threats from groups demanding the removal of undocumented foreign nationals. One migrant told the broadcaster they had fled conflict in their own country “only to find war here in South Africa.”
The violence has also drawn regional and international concern. Last month, the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights expressed “grave concern” over what it described as a persistent pattern of xenophobic violence and intimidation against nationals of other African countries in South Africa.
The Commission cited reports of assaults and harassment allegedly carried out by vigilante groups targeting individuals perceived to be undocumented migrants. It further linked the latest incidents to a longstanding history of xenophobic violence in South Africa, including the deadly 2008 attacks that left more than 60 people dead and displaced thousands.
The United Nations has also condemned the violence. UN Secretary-General António Guterres recently warned that attacks against migrants and foreign nationals threatened South Africa’s democratic values and social stability.
Meanwhile, Reuters reported that the South African government had promised to crack down on perpetrators after Ghana raised concerns over videos circulating online allegedly showing attacks on Ghanaian nationals in KwaZulu-Natal.
In its latest statement, the SAHRC said while citizens had the right to protest and raise grievances, such actions had to remain peaceful and lawful.
“Violence, intimidation, hate speech, looting, and property destruction are unacceptable and constitute serious human-rights violations and criminal conduct,” the Commission stated.
The Commission called on relevant government departments and the Minister of Police to intervene urgently to stop the violence and prevent it from spreading to other provinces.
It also urged the public not to resort to vigilantism but instead report criminal activities to law enforcement authorities.
The SAHRC said allegations of criminal acts committed by some non-nationals should not be used to inflame tensions or justify attacks on foreign nationals.
“Those with knowledge of any criminal act, whether committed by a South African or a non-national, should report it to the South African Police Service for investigation,” the Commission said.
The human rights body further called on community leaders, civil society organisations and residents to promote dialogue, tolerance and respect for the rule of law.
It added that issues such as porous borders, illegal migration, unemployment, human trafficking and other criminal activities should be addressed through lawful government processes.
The SAHRC said it would continue monitoring developments, engaging stakeholders and advocating for accountability and the protection of human rights.




Discussion about this post