Brussels – The European Union has extended its arms embargo on Zimbabwe by one year, keeping the restriction in place until 20 February 2027. The decision follows the EU’s annual review of sanctions imposed on the southern African nation, the Council of the European Union said in a statement on Tuesday.
While the arms embargo remains, the council lifted all other sanctions related to travel bans and asset freezes on individuals and entities. Zimbabwe Defence Industries, the last entity previously under restrictive measures, was removed from the list in 2025.
“The EU remains constructively engaged with Zimbabwe and looks forward to deepening the bilateral relations across a broad range of areas of mutual interest, including on trade and investment,” the council said, noting that the effectiveness of the embargo would continue to be monitored amid future developments.
Sanctions on Zimbabwe date back to February 2002, imposed over what the EU described as serious and systematic human rights violations, political violence, and intimidation against opponents during then-President Robert Mugabe’s administration. The EU cited concerns over infringements on freedoms of opinion, association, and peaceful assembly, including the expulsion of the head of its election observation mission in February 2002.
“The council decision and council regulation adopted today reflect the decision to maintain and extend the existing arms embargo in view of the situation in Zimbabwe,” the EU statement added.




Discussion about this post