More than half a million coronavirus cases have been confirmed in South Africa as of Saturday August 1, 2020 according to the country’s health minister Zweli Mkhize.
Mkhize announced 10,107 new cases on Saturday, bringing the tally to 503,290, along with 148 new deaths totaling to 8,153 deaths so far.
Gauteng remains the current epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak in South Africa with 178 119 cases, and the Western Cape at 96 189 confirmed cases in second place. KwaZulu-Natal has the third highest number of cases at 79 607, followed closely by the Eastern Cape with 78 782 confirmed cases.
There been 148 new deaths reported since the previous day’s figures, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said. Of these, 41 were from KwaZulu-Natal, 40 from Gauteng, 36 were from the Eastern Cape, 24 from Western Cape and 7 from the Northern Cape. The total number of Covid-19 related death across South Africa now stands at 8 153.
The number of recoveries currently stands at 342 461 which translates to a recovery rate of 68%, the ministry said.
The total number of tests conducted to date is 3 001 985, with 42 450 new tests conducted since the health ministry’s last report.
South Africa is the hardest-hit country on the continent and accounts for half of all reported infections in Africa. It also has the fifth-highest number of cases in the world after the US, Brazil, Russia and India.
More than 17.67 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 679,918 have died, according to the coronavirus global data
Infections have been reported in more than 210 countries and territories since the first cases were identified in China in December 2019.
Discussion about this post