Mbabane: Minister of Health Lizzie Nkosi has sadly announced the death of a 17 year old male, taking the death toll to six (6).
Nkosi said the deceased was from the Manzini Region, he was admitted at the Lubombo Referral Hospital nine days ago. When admitted he was in critical condition and during treatment his condition became complicated and he eventually passed on.
Minister Nkosi said previously the deceased was admitted in a critical state at RFM hospital where he was being treated for a known chronic respiratory ailment, complicated by physical abnormalities of the chest.
Nkosi further went on to announce that the number of confirmed cases in Eswatini has increased to 643, as eight (8) new cases confirmed on Monday. The number of recoveries has also increased to 291 as six (6) new recoveries recorded.
Nkosi also clarified on issues regarding patients who tested positive again after recovered and discharged, she said those patients are non-infectious and can be allowed to go back to their normal lives.
“We have noted that some of our COVID19 cases continue to record positive results even after having tested negative & discharged. This has been detected in other countries, however, research from South Korea & Germany has found these to be non-infectious.” Nkosi said.
She added that the World Health Organization has issued guidance to the effect that people who have reached & passed the 10th day from their initial testing positive, are no longer infectious and can be allowed to continue with their normal lives.
Minister Nkosi pleaded with the public to adhere to self-isolation, further requested relatives & community members to assist the suspected cases with items they need from shops until the isolation period ends. The isolation period ends when the results come out.