Mbabane: The Far East Textiles PTY (Ltd) based in Matsapha Eswatini has won the runners-up prize in the Southern African Regional Exporters Award.
The award is for producing various clothing brands for The Foschini Group in South Africa, and for empowering rural women to prepare them for opening their own businesses in the manufacturing of clothing. The company which has been operating in the country since February 2002 now exports more than two million garments a year.
The Southern Africa Regional Exporters Awards is a collaboration between the Eastern Cape Development Corporation (ECDC) and the USAID Southern Africa Trade and Investment Hub (USAID TradeHub).
This collaboration actively engages with nine countries in Southern Africa to increase sustainable growth, increase competitiveness, and grow trade within these countries. The countries are South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Malawi, Lesotho, Botswana, Eswatini, Zambia, and Angola.
The Southern Africa Regional Exporters Awards was held at the East London International Convention Centre in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. The Awards were a hybrid event allowing for both physical and virtual participation.
The Regional Exporters Awards were launched earlier this year. The first round consists of country-level Exporter Awards completed in seven of the target countries. The second round was the Regional Exporters Awards in East London, where the country-level award winners, as well as new nominations, participated in the regional awards.
The other contenders for the Exporter of the Year Award were:
- Malawi Conforzi Plantations Limited for the processing and marketing of tea, macadamia and poultry products for export to South Africa & USA.
- Two Six Zero Brands from Zambia for the production of top-quality maize and soya based products sourced from local farmers to provide in the need of the Zambian market.
- Plastic Packaging (Pty) Ltd from Namibia manufactures polyethylene flexible packaging products and offers a complete packaging solution. They also have a recycling factory where approximately 200 tons of post-industrial and post-consumer waste are processed and converted into raw material per month for the manufacturing of second life-cycle products, thus completing the circular economy of plastics in Namibia.
- Liberation Clothing (Pty) Ltd from Lesotho produces PPE clothing of the finest quality. They have an innovative in-house designer team to design and produce according to their customers’ requirements, exporting to the U.S.
- Korosho Moçambique Limtada from Mozambique produce 2 500 tons of cashew nuts a year pushing for 10 000 tons by year end. They have two processing plants. The nuts are exported to South Africa, Europe, Asia, U.S. and Canada among others
- Technical Systems (Pty) Ltd from South Africa is an industry leader in the production of agricultural feeding conveyors made from heat treated steel.
A total of 14 nominations were received from the participating countries. The Southern Africa Regional Exporters Awards Ceremony judging panel is drawn from the private and public sectors comprising of experts with international business experience.
The Managing Director of Far East Textiles Pty (Ltd), Tokky Hou says she was meant to go to East London to participate physically in the competition but because of the Covid restrictions, she was only able to participate virtually. “When it was announced that we had actually won the runners-up prize I was ecstatic. This honor is not just for Tokky or Far East Textiles, but it is an honor for our country. To be recognized outside of the country by a panel of international judges is a great achievement.”